Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Road Trip!

In December of last year, my Dad invited me to join him om a road trip to St Lucia. It wasn't just any road trip though! You see, my Dads only mode of transport is his BMW R1200 GS motorbike! I was so excited! Ive always wanted to take a long journey on a motorbike! Motorbikes speak to my secret side! A side of me that is adventurous and daring. I have until now only watched and admired those who take on the roads with their two-wheeled rockets! My Dad, who had a motorbike when I was allot smaller, got himself a BMW motorbike after 20 years of being bike free! I guess its just something that's born in! So when this opportunity presented itself to travel over 1000 kilometers on a bike, I dusted off my leather jacket and packet my backpack!

I stay in Pretoria and St Lucia is on the East coast of South Africa.

We looked pretty sexy in our biking gear. We had to match the bike after all!


On the road it started looking overcast and rainy, and I was getting colder by the second! So we stopped to warm up with some Muscadel!

I look like I'm squashed into my helmet!

Piet Retief is the halfway mark. So we stretched our legs to warm up our cold wet freezing bodies with breakfast and Horlicks!
We had these cool headsets attached to our helmets that allow you to talk to each other while your riding. It also allows you to answer your telephone. It really makes the ride so much more exciting!


The bike wasn't exactly presentable by the time we were finished with it!
We stayed at The Elephant Lake Hotel in St Lucia. Our room had a view over the lagoon and there were deer and monkeys in the bushes just below us. I was thrilled when a eagle perched on one of the dry branches of a tree a mere 20 meters from us!


And then there were two!

And suddenly, just like that....
...And he was gone!

I know Eagles mate for life, so it was amazing to see these two every day. The dry branch seemed to be there 'hang out' spot. One of them even ate their breakfast ( which looked like a snake) on this branch. The public display of affection only happened that once though!

During our stay we took a drive, or is that a ride, to Richards bay. This beautiful coastal town is a couple of kilometers further down the east coast.
All I dislike about riding bike is how flat the helmet makes your hair!

My Dad reset the clock when we left St Lucia to come back home, but this is what it read... 645.8 km... times 2...and that would be what we traveled in 3 days!


I had such a great time with my Dad! I am forever in love with the thrill of feeling the road rush under my feet and the wind in my hair, and the scenery so close you can experience every smell and sight and raindrop with memorable intensity! Thanks Daddy! I love you!

1 comments:

Anonymous Fri Feb 13, 08:13:00 AM GMT+2  

I am so glad you enjoyed it! For me it was also time to spend with you and show how much I love you. Inspite of everything that has happened in the past. I have the most amazing daughter, dont you all think so???

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP